Wednesday, October 29, 2014

La de da de de, la de da de da

Mekheye - An extreme pleasure, orgasmic, out of this world wonderful!
Found here.

What counts in this category changes as you get older. For me now, sleeping through the night rises to the top of the list, especially when not drinking the night before.  There is a remarkable calm and freshness to the morning.  Possibility lurks with the first cup of coffee.  Today will be a good day.  Let the ills from the rest of the world not intrude on this reverie.

And yet one can't fully escape.  Our routines don't allow wandering too far from the beaten path.  For me, most mornings I check my blood pressure.  I then record the readings into an Excel spreadsheet.  Though I hate the concept of Weight Watchers I learned from them, for the brief time I was on their diet as an adult, that if you write things down (they meant this for things that you eat, but it works for all things) you become more conscious of them.  The thing about the blood pressure check, though, is that your get a pulse reading as part of the bargain.

What I've found is that my pulse races a bit if I've drunk a lot the night before.  It is much slower without the drinking.  And if there is uninterrupted sleep and no drinking, that is a mekheye.  Intense dreams produce relaxation on awakening. 

This morning my number was 51.  I reached that once before, but never lower.

Maybe fatigue is an ally in producing this outcome.  I hadn't slept well the night before.  The storm and the dog's reaction to it interrupted me in the middle of the night and I didn't get much rest after that.  Yesterday afternoon, when I came home from teaching, I felt completely exhausted.  I ask myself from time to time whether I could go back to work on a full time basis.  The answer yesterday was a resounding, NO! I had a good long nap that foreshadowed the sleep that would come later.

I wish this peaceful state were a more regular occurrence.  Meditation during the afternoon might be in the cards, but I've never been able to sit cross legged on the floor.  So I find the thought of exploring this possibility a bit intimidating.  Plus there is how I was raised - take what you can get.  Shnorrers can't be choosers. 

No comments: