Wednesday, October 06, 2010

An alternative gradebook without using an LMS

I'm linking to a screen movie I made rather than embedding it, because it probably should be seen full screen to get the effect. (Also, the movie is at archive.org which doesn't compress the mpeg4 video. YouTube made the image quality of the video very ugly.) It shows how to keep a course gradebook in Excel, but then have an individual online gradebook for each student using Google Spreadsheets and entering those grades via the Google Forms tool, set up in a way to make grade entry easy. There is manual labor involved in the setup up. But it seems pretty functional to me. And since I've tried this sort of thing before (each student had their own spreadsheet). It is something I would do in a smaller class. I wonder if the idea will catch on with others.

No comments: